Friday, January 6, 2012

Transferred

Hey family!
I was transferred this week to a new area and I love it! There's a lot I could say and I hope it comes out clearly. Our mission rearranged a lot of areas within zones and whatnot, and my new companion and I have been "white-washed," meaning that it is a new area for both of us. We cover a Spanish ward as well as an English ward, which is also a new thing for both my companion and I. When we were transferred on Wednesday, the mission hadn't arranged an apartment for us. (The Spanish branch was split so a new companionship came in to the zone which they needed to accomodate for). So we crashed with some other elders and finally moved into our aparment Saturday night, although the only thing we have besides our luggage is beds. And now toilet paper thanks to the member's custodial closet. But we're getting by just fine. The area that we're in is full of Mexicans. It is awesome! There are even street signs in Spanish. And because we're His servants in a new area, the Lord is helping us greatly. The day we started working in this area I had better Spanish than ever before. My companion and I have about the same level Spanish, so there's a lot more need for me to understand what the people are saying, as opposed to Mesa where I just turned to my companion when I didn't understand. It's making me be a lot more involved, which is something I have realized that I love. And I didn't realize how uninvolved I was in Mesa. I can already feel personal growth simply from being more engaged in the work. There is a lot more that can be learned. The wards here can use a lot of work. There are a lot of inactives and several good leads on people interested in the Church. I honestly hope they keep me here for a long time.
Side note: Tyler was in my dream last night and we were speaking Spanish. Also, last week I had a dream that the whole family was called to a Spanish speaking mission and Mom had fluent Spanish only after like 2 months. It was awesome, Mom!
We're staying busy and I'm being a lot more involved, which is really helping me become the missionary I want to be, even in the few days that we've been here. It's a struggle being so unfamiliar with the area, especially nightly planning, but the Lord is helping us. The Bible Dictionary says that where there is true faith there are miracles. We are showing our faith as we work, and I am excited for the continued miracles we'll see. I love you, all! Happy New Year!

Elder Joshua Gathro

No comments:

Post a Comment