Monday, February 25, 2013

Que Paso!


Dear Family,
It's been a great week! Transfer meeting was this week...The higher-ups have banished me to YUMA! Haha I love it down here. And with companion that I already had about a year ago. He's awesome! We get along great and I feel like he empowers me, as in he helps me to reach my potential. My companion from Mexico is down here too! The area is way cool, the small town has a lot of personality. I know that a lot of Arizonans don't give this place much credit, but for a missionary it's a blast. We're working with a lot of people in this area who are progressing well toward baptism, and are overall more receptive to the restored Gospel. One middle-aged guy we're teaching "was" Buddhist, and comes from a family that has been Buddhist for generations. And he's a really smart guy who thinks deeply about things. Well he referred himself to the missionaries to find out a little more, and after several visits he finally decided to have a heart-to-heart with God in prayer, and suddenly he saw doors being opened that were basically miracles for him. Apparently after that experience he told the missionaries, "Hey, pencil me in for baptism - no, sharpie me in!" He kinda reminds me of Uncle Mike actually. Great guy.
We're teaching a handful of other people that I haven't been able to get to know very well because of my short time here, but I feel a lot of enthusiasm. Our zone only has 12 missionaries, all of which are Spanish-speaking except 2, and there's a lot of unity among us. I've  been more pro-active while interacting with potential investigators, and bearing my testimony is a lot of fun. Sometimes I mention you, Dad, just how you were blessed in so many ways by seeking truth and following it. Something I've been realizing over the last several weeks is how we must hand over our will to God. And how what we want doesn't really matter if it's not what God wants. I'm learning the importance of searching to know God's will and do it, and I try to teach that to others. Really that's how people learn our message, by asking God, listening with their heart, and acting on what they feel. It keeps us alive spiritually, and keeps us close to our Father.
Funny story I heard today. A missionary left a street contact with a scripture to share, but there was misunderstanding. So instead of 1 Nephi 3:7, the man read 3 Nephi 3:7. And when the missionary returned, the man said that he didn't want to talk to them at all anymore. The missionary was really confused and read the scripture in 3 Nephi and realized the mistake. You gotta read that verse, it's hilarious.
Well, thank you so much for everything. That's about all I got now, or all I can remember. The mission just got a lot more exciting :) I love you all, have a great week!

Elder Gathro

No comments:

Post a Comment