Monday, February 18, 2013

Miracles


Dear Family,
Transfer calls came last night...am I staying or leaving? I'll tell you further in the letter.
So it has been an eventful week. I told you last week about our investigator who got scared about baptism by his dad and that things were a little shaky with them. Well it didn't last long. We had a Family Home Evening at our relief society president's house, with the bishop and his wife there as well. We watched the hour long Joseph Smith movie and had a mini impromptu testimony meeting afterward that was very spiritual and powerful. Our investigator - Tygart, 14 yrs old - was confident that this was what God wanted for his life, even though his grandparents have almost disowned him and the dad is very skeptical. But we were able to see him everyday this week, and one night I talked to the dad, man to man :) and it was a really good conversation. The baptism was this past Saturday and he was confirmed yesterday. My companion Elder Hernandez gave an outstanding talk which even led Tygart's dad to cry. It was a happy weekend. Oh, and get this. So an investigator that my companion taught in one of his old areas finally got permission from President Monson to be baptized, despite some serious things with the law. Our mission president gave us permission to return for the baptismal service, and a member couple drove us down and back (2 hour round trip). It was a really uplifting experience as well, and for the member too. He was preparing for a talk that he gave yesterday and said that he received a lot of revelation that afternoon. I know he was blessed for his apparent sacrifice.
The Dominicano who will be baptized this coming weekend had a miracle also happen this weekend. So we taught him the Word of Wisdom last week and gave him a blessing to withstand temptation and be able to live this commandment. He was very sincere and knew that he needed to quit. Well he's a baseball player and was playing on Saturday night and gave in to a desire for chewing tobacco. So he put some in his mouth and immediately had an urge to vomit! He couldn't use it anymore. He is done for sure! And he knows that God is helping him stay on this path. It was a miracle no doubt. Just like Mom said, miracles are still happening today. God is still our loving Father. It is amazing to see and they strengthen my faith.
Returning to the other big piece of news, my time in Mesa has come to an end. I'm being transfered! And there are only two other Spanish ZL areas, and most likely I'm going to Yuma! That would be a blast! And I would be with my previous companion Elder Sawyer, who is like a best friend. I'll let you know where I am next week, but hold off an any mail till then...in case someone was planning on sending any, haha.
Ok one more thing and then I gotta sign out. So it's a very common occurrence in this mission for members to pay for you when they see you in a restaurant. Especially in Gilbert where there are so many members. Well my comp and I had to visit some companionships out in Gilbert on Saturday and when we finished it was already lunchtime, so we figured we'd go out with a companionship and "faith-dine." That's a missionary term meaning to have faith that a member will offer to pay. We picked Cafe Rio where members always go to eat. And walking in things looked good, some BYU logos, a member saying "Hey Elders." But coming to the cash register, nothing. Haha it was probably just our luck and punishment for our conniving ideas. But it was a delicious meal nonetheless.
Oh, I almost forgot, one of our investigators gave us like 8 bottles of her alcohol so us to dispose of. So we brought it back to the house and poured it all down the sink. It smelt terrible! So disgusting. We made a few videos too. Don't worry, Mom, I'm taking photos. I'll send them to you when I can.
Well I love you all so much. Thank you for everything. Have a great week!

Elder Gathro

No comments:

Post a Comment