Monday, July 8, 2013

About His buzzness!

Hey Family!
President Toone is absolutely wonderful. He's such a happy, humble giant. We got to see him interact with the missionaries this week and he has just been so great. He says he has no clue what  he's doing but he's keeping it together pretty well. For the most part he doesn't intend to change anything for the first little while in the mission. He's just observing and getting the swing of things. He asks a lot for recommendations, which is probably what I would do too. But he has the final word. Elder Perez and I were trying to remember what we decided on for July district meeting trainings and give a bit more direction but we were kinda stuck. Then we asked him and he said he wanted us to come up with it since we are more familiar with the needs of the mission and what has been trained on recently. But once he gave us the official assignment, ideas and clarification just started to flow. It was incredible. Whenever President Toone says or does something like that, we say ,"That's why you're the president!" He always laughs, but we know it makes him feel like he's doing things right.
On Thursday we had a meeting that I was asked to train in, and of course the training topic was left up to me to decide. For some reason the phrase come to mind of "Revelation in Leadership." And I couldn't let it go. It sounded right and felt right but I didn't think I had much to go off of. But I really tried to prepare for it well and spend time gathering my thoughts. Then when the time came, the training went a lot better than I had imagined. It just came together and words were given that I hadn't planned. Everyone there was participating well and we felt the Spirit teaching us what was right and what we needed to do. I feel strongly that the Lord will bless us with guidance as we seek it. Elder Eyring says, "If you want revelation, you gotta do your homework." And that homework can be described as to ask, seek, and knock. It's a pattern of receiving revelation that the Lord expects us to use, especially in leadership roles. And all of us can be leaders. We should be. Who are we inviting to be with us in the eternities? I know that our influence is magnified when we asked for direction from the Lord and act on what is revealed. The Spirit will consecrate our efforts to the benefit of ourselves and others. He's often the missing ingredient and yet the most important one by far.
Well, I'm learning a lot and having a blast! We were talking to a white lady last night about 40 yrs old, and I asked her why she thought there are so many churches in the world. She responded, "To be honest, I think it's redonkulous!" Haha people say the funniest things.
Miracle among many: At the start of church yesterday one of the greeters grabbed us and said, "The girl on the back row is a non-member getting baptized in 2 weeks." What? She's not our investigator. I've never seen her before. Well we met her and figured out that she has been taught by the sister missionaries at the Visitors' Center and wants to get baptized on the 27th of July. God be praised! Blessings are raining from the skies. She's a great gator it seems like and we're teaching her later today. Hope all goes well. Thanks for everything fam! I love you lots! Have a great week!

Elder Gathro

P.S. I can't believe I forgot! Saturday I was able to go to the temple and see one of the young adults I baptized last year get endowed! It was incredible! Such a joyful experience. It was Maria Perez in Chandler. She speaks English too, so when I get back you all can talk to her. OK, well, paz fuera! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment