Monday, March 25, 2013

New Transfer


Dear Family,
So we got transfer calls last night, and I thought that we were safe, but it turns out that my companion is being transferred on Wednesday, probably to Mesa where I came from. It's a bummer because this is his last transfer and we're both stoked about just working the Spanish branch, but the Lord has called him another way. He'll do well. And the assistants already let me know that my new companion will be one of the missionaries that's already in my zone. He's a really solid missionary, but he's only been out for like 10 months. I'm excited, he'll be a good companion.
So a couple weeks ago during a lesson, one of our investigators made the comment that my companion and I are both ignorant and naive. It stayed on my mind for several weeks actually. Just mulling it over. One of the things I've learned on my mission is that I'm not nearly as smart as I thought I was. Though I'm improving :) But in ways, the investigator was right, especially when it comes to current world events. And since last week we had stake conference, with a member of the 70 presiding. While he was speaking and since then, I've realized how much greater a role the prophets have. Because I know that there are definitely things that me in my own world am not aware of. Yet I can't be the only one. And God doesn't leave us clueless. His chosen prophets are very aware and have communication with God, avising us of the things we need to be watchful of, and warning us of dangers in the world. I realized that I need to seek knowledge as much as I can, but meanwhile, God's servants will help keep me safe. I'm very excited for General Conference in 2 weeks!
Ok, ready to be blown out of your seat? So last Sunday night as I told you we went and visited this family with a father and his 4 children, the oldest an 18-yr-old son. Well the following day we returned and taught the message of the Restoration, and when we invited them to ask God for a confirmation that this is the true church, the oldest son started to bear his testimony. "I already know that this is true. I felt it yesterday when you guys came over. It was something I can't really explain, but I just felt happy. And I know this is true..." Talking about that experience yesterday he said that he could sense something different the moment we came into the house. That was really interesting to me because we didn't do anything very different, but he recognized it. And he's thirsting for the Gospel. He came to church yesterday, talked with the branch president (a great man, by the way), and now is thinking to go on a mission. He was inactive a week ago! It's an absolute miracle. And all we've done is brought the Spirit. His family is happier and are taking steps of faith. It's so much fun and such a joy to see :)
Not sure if I have much more. Well, yeah, more happened, but those are the highlights that readily come to mind. I'll give you more next week. Thanks, I love you all. Happy Easter!!

Elder Gathro

No comments:

Post a Comment