Monday, May 20, 2013


Dear Family,
Boy oh boy, what to say. The only thing I got are recent experiences
and insights. And I know that Dad is already filled with insights so
there's not much new that I have to offer. But, this week Elder Perez
and I went on exchanges with two companionships in the Yuma zone. It
was nice to be back down there for a little visit :) I actually went
with a companionship down to the little border town of San Luis. We
had a great time and it was really uplifting as well. We worked hard
and had fun. All the missionaries in that zone now are Spanish
missionaries so I tried setting the precedent that we speak Spanish.
That's one of the things on my agenda for the mission. President says
us Spanish missionaries have to "get [our] swagger back." Well, we
better start speaking the language more then. Honestly, I feel that we
slip out of speaking our mission language because it's just gotten so
common. In gospel principles yesterday I made the connection that
often that's a reason we give in to sin. The adversary tries to
distort our perception of what is right and wrong in an effort to
hinder our ability to make righteous decisions. How wonderful is the
gift of the Holy Ghost, available only through baptism, which aids us
in forming an eternal perspective, like that of Heavenly Father. It's
a valuable gift we ought to appreciate.
Oh! I've been meaning to offer this update. So do you remember the
story of the family in Yuma who's son was living a bad lifestyle and
felt the Spirit during our visit, then came to church and wanted to go
on a mission? Well I didn't tell you of the events that followed. The
week after his deciding to serve a mission he slipped back into old
habits and old friends and we lost him. His family as a whole suffered
during those few weeks; honestly one of the saddest experiences of my
mission discussing the situation with his dad. Well, a week ago, I got
word that the elders got ahold of the young man again and his WHOLE
family came to church. He was like a totally different person, just
like he was in those early visits we made with him. It's a miracle and
an answer to prayers. The family is back on the path. I know that God
hears us and works even harder than we do to make good things happen.
Never lose faith and always trust that when we do our part, Father
does His. Keep on keepin' on and have a great week!

Much love to all,
Elder Gathro

No comments:

Post a Comment